Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Student Poetry

In the eighth grade humanities class, "The Power of Poetry," students have been hard at work dissecting poems and honing their own. Through a series of writing and revision workshops, students have reflected on stories from their lives -- from everyday conversations to pivotal events -- and helped each other capture the truth that those stories reveal. I've been so inspired by their compassion and insight. The process is a grueling one, but students have been exercising their precision muscle to produce amazing work. More and more, I'm hearing students exclaim to each other, "Yes! I know what you mean!"

I'm definitely exclaiming that, too.

Here is an excellent final draft of a student poem on family:

"Keys"
by Shannon Blemings


I ask my mother
how her day was

"Busy," she says,
"Very busy."

She sits at her desk,
legs crossed.

She has papers scattered
about the house.

Pens and markers
strewn around.

"I understand,"
I turn my head.

I hear her keyboard
clicking away.

Each word a little louder,
more persistent.

I start walking,
but pause at the doorway.

I sigh.
She taps her pen.

Only then do
I walk away.


To read more student work and poems we've dissected in class, visit http://thepoetrybox.tumblr.com


Take care,

Ms. Ho
8th Grade Humanities Teacher

2 comments:

  1. i heard this read at Grant and the presentation added to the power. this poem is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's Odia from U.S. Grant. And this summer rocked

    ReplyDelete