Thursday, July 9, 2009

9th Grade Leadership

Hello to all. My name is A.T. McWilliams and I am a 6th grade humanities teacher at the U.S. Grant Foundation summer program. I cannot express how excited I am to contribute to “The Launchpad” for the first time today. The past couple of weeks have been fantastic, and I could spend innumerable hours recounting each unforgettable day I have spent teaching thus far. In particular, yesterday afternoon moved me in a much unexpected way. I had the great privilege to witness U.S. Grant’s rising 9th grades take a huge leadership role during our first team competition.

On Tuesday afternoon, Co-director Sam Bagg and I had the opportunity to host a leadership workshop for the 9th graders. Together, we tackled a few team building activities and subsequently reflected upon our leadership abilities as a group and as individuals. Basic ideas we covered included the differences between managing and leading, characteristics crucial to a successful team, and leading by example.

My overall goal in hosting this workshop was for the 9th graders to recognize their own importance and capabilities. Although I teach a historical and developmental leadership course to my 6th graders, I came into the workshop hoping to inspire acts of leadership rather than teach its fundamentals. I think that Sam and I did as much as we could to open the door for these 9th graders in presenting them with several basic ideas of leadership and management. Though I was worried to see how they would walk through this newly opened door, they did so spectacularly.

Words can barely express how well the 9th graders took to these leadership roles and stepped up to the plate for their teams. The competitions consisted of 4 large teams distinguished by different colors and names (Yellow Jackets, Green Giants, Blue Boom Pow, and Red Inferno) participating in several competitive events. It was remarkable to see how within the first 15 minutes of competition the 9th graders had already designated different roles for the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders while maintaining control of the team. The 9th graders managed well, gave honest efforts, and displayed excellent leadership skills before all of U.S. Grant.

To any 9th grade students reading this right now, I would like to thank you for helping lead one of the best days at Grant so far. Your efforts yesterday were admirable, and I am confident that you will all continue to be great leaders throughout the duration of this summer.

With thanks,
A.T. McWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment